Sunday, September 5, 2010

Special Moments in Time

There are days in your life that, as they happen, you realize you will be remembering them for a long time. Today was one of those days. It wasn't a day where we went to Disney World or to someone's house for a party. It was just a day filled with special moments.

The day started off special. My wife was nice enough to let me sleep in a bit this morning, and when I finally went down stairs at 9:30, the girls were very excited to see me. They had actually just started to eat their breakfast. That was when my three year old daughter, Jillian, pleaded with me to sit next to her on the floor. She was so darn cute about it, I couldn't say no to her no matter how stiff my body was. After breakfast, she drew a portrait of me. Well, it was me as monster I was told. I am not quite sure how to take that one...(I promise that I had not yelled at anyone at that point in the morning.)

The next moments came in church. Both girls genuflected upon entering the pew. Catholics do this as a sign of reverence to the altar. My Jillian certainly doesn't understand our customs yet, but the six year old, Molly, is starting to understand. Regardless, the fact that they are cognizant enough to realize that what I am doing in church is the same thing that they should be doing is awesome in and of itself. Later on in Mass, the three of us held hands and said the “Our Father” (also known as the “Lord's Prayer”) with the rest of the congregation. The wonderful part was they held the other's hand without complaint as we prayed. Some times they really make me believe they like each other.

I am not going to sit here and run through the rest of todays wonderful moments; but, I will mention two more. After Jillian's nap, Molly, Jillian, and I cuddled on the couch watching “Aarti Parti” on DVR. (Yes, dads are allowed to cuddle with their children. In fact, I encourage it. It is a wonderful experience for all involved.) It is an indescribable feeling to have two children that you have helped to create and raise nuzzle in to you, even if it only lasts about five minutes. They got hungry and wanted a snack – they are my children after all.

How can I leave out my son on this day of special moments? He and I did one of the things that many dads and sons love to do – wrestle. Well, it wasn't technically wrestling. Coilin just kept crawling on me and sitting on my chest. Hey, give him a break. he is only 16 months old.

The chances are that he and the girls will not remember this day, but I will, and that is all that really matters. As long as one person remembers, that moment remains something more than just an evening at home with the family that passes on into oblivion.

Maybe, if this blog is still around when my children are old enough to fully understand these things, this article could help to trigger a special day long forgotten and turn my cherished memory into something that my wife, children, and I will be able to share forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment