Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Meatloaf, Forts, and Go Diego Go!

What could Meatloaf, Forts, and Go Diego Go! possible have in common? Surprisingly, it is something very important that none of us can live without. But I am not going to tell you straight away. You are going to have to read on and see if you can guess.

Meatloaf

Two days ago my wife and were talking about dinner plans for Today. (Sometimes we are that organized.) I had suggested that she make her famous meatloaf for me, I mean us. Shannon graciously agreed. By the time today had rolled around though, I had actually forgotten that she was making me, I mean us, meatloaf for dinner. My excitement was barely containable when she reminded me.

When I get home my mood changed. I was shocked, stunned I say. She had made me, I mean us, Turkey Meatloaf with zucchini, carrots, and I think I saw spinach all mixed into the loaf. This was not ground beef. This was Thanksgiving dinner and my garden mixed together. Oh, the tragedy. Oh, the horror. But, my wife made dinner, and by gum, I would eat that dinner. Please do not tell her I said this, but it was really good. I cannot wait for leftovers for lunch. I will deny that I ever said it.

Forts

After dinner tonight, my two oldest, Molly and Jillian, wanted to build a fort in the dining room. They wanted to drape a blanket over two chairs and hide underneath. I had to nix that idea. Coilin would be running around too and a 17 month old and a fort constructed in that fashion was not going to work - at all. But, I am not a total meany-head. I told them to go upstairs and pretend that the bottom bunk was a fort. Apparently, that was an acceptable alternative because I think I saw little clouds of smoke shoot out from behind them as they ran up the stairs.

About five minutes later, I had to go upstairs for something, and I was barely on the landing when Molly comes running out of her room and says, “Daddy, look what we did!” Yes, I was scared to see what she wanted to show me. I put on brave face and walked into her room, and was ecstatic. They had hooked Molly's purple “Nana Blanket” onto the top bunk's railing, and the blanket was totally covering the entry way into the bottom bunk. They had modified their original design to fit the furniture they were allowed to use. I am not sure who was prouder, Molly and Jillian for their design, or me.

Go Diego Go!

At about 7:30, Coilin was winding down. He had played hard all day. Go Diego GO! was on the television and I was sitting on the floor watching it with Coilin and Jillian. Coilin was standing in front of me; so, I grabbed him and sat him in my lap. He snuggled into me as only a 17 month old can, and Coilin sat there totally calm and totally chill. Then about two minutes later, he got a burst of energy and was gone again. Man, that was an awesome two minutes though.

Commonality

Have you guessed what Meatloaf, Forts, and Go Diego Go! have in common? All right, I will tell you. They all displayed signs of love. My wife made the meatloaf out of turkey and mixed in vegetables because she cares about what we put into our bodies. The fort, well, the girls constructed it with a blanket that my mom (Nana) had made for Molly. I think Go Diego Go! is the easy one. I was snuggling (yes, I snuggle) with my son.

It just goes to show you that love is all around us whether in the form of a meatloaf, a blanket used in a fort, or simply holding someone. So, the next time things are not going your way, or you are just down, look around and I bet you will find your own symbol of love that someone has left for you along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment