Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Have You Thanked a Soldier Today?

I watched a little bit of “Minute To Win It” tonight on television. I never thought that show would bring tears to my eyes. Tonight's contestants were two Iraq War Heroes. These soldiers were in the same squad and each lost one of their legs in the same attack.

I listened to these two heroes talk about how they depended on each other so much during their recovery, and how much they still do to this day. It is amazing how strong people can be. The best part of the show (at least of what I saw) was when they had the doctor who worked on them in the field come out. It was awesome. If you can find it on NBC.com or YouTube, you need to watch it. I am not able to do it justice here. This was first time they had seen the man who had saved their lives since the day he had worked on them. I was choked-up.

It may be cliched to say this, but it really does make me think about life and how lucky we are in this country. No doubt, we Americans have our issues – every family does. But, we also have Greatness. We have women and men who willing sacrifice life and limb to protect us and others around the world. It does not matter whether you agree with the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan or any other mission on which these heroes are sent. They pledged oaths to follow the orders that they were given. So please do not forget how much these heroes and their families are giving up for us.

These two men in particular gave up their legs and the lives they knew when they left for Iraq. They will never be the same, and their families will never be the same. The lives of the people they have touched will never be the same - I hope in a positive way. I know I think differently every time I hear a story from a Veteran. So, next time you see a Veteran, say thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment