Friday, September 10, 2010

Leaves on the Ground

We are approaching one of my favorite times of the year – Fall. We still have 13 days before the autumnal equinox, but here in Pittsburgh we are experiencing Fall-like temperatures and I love it. I don't know what it is about this time of year that I love so much. As soon as the weather starts to cool down and the leaves start to change colors and fall to the ground, I begin to wax nostalgic. I remember all of the wonderful times I had growing up, and I long for my children to have the same fond memories. This evening, I hope that I helped to create that environment for them.

After dinner, the girls wanted to go out and play. They put on their shoes and were out the back door as soon as they were done with their dinner. In fact, Molly only had on one shoe and was holding the other in her hand when she hit the back porch. I was finishing up the dishes in the kitchen; so I was able to watch them from a distance without them really noticing me or modifying their play because I was around.

Their toy of choice this Autumn-like day was a bat and ball. Not my first choice for this type of weather, but they were playing nicely together, and I was not about to interrupt and suggest that they play football. I have learned that when two little girls are playing nicely together, you are best to leave well enough alone. Especially since one of the girls from next door came up to join them. Three girls getting along is like a miracle to me. It was awesome. They were running around playing baseball and giggling. It was pure unadulterated fun. I remember having times like this when I was growing up.

As soon as school started, you had a limited amount of time to play with your friends before it started to get dark. You had to use your time wisely. There was no time to bicker and argue. You had to have your game plan set before you headed out to play. As I remember it, we played a lot of football in the form of actual games or just lining up and running plays.

“Head to the tree and hook left.”

“Run a post route.”

“Go Long!”

It didn't matter how many of us there were, as long as we had two guys – one to throw the ball and one to catch it. On good days, we had a third or even fourth guy to play defense – one to cover the quarterback and one to cover the receiver. Inevitably, someone got dirt stains or grass stains on their pants. Those were the best of times.

Tonight, I saw a glimpse of what I loved so much as a child in the way my children were playing, and I was happy for them. I do not even care if they got grass stains on their clothes. As my wife says, “That's what they make Oxyclean for.” I hope for their sake and, maybe a bit selfishly, mine that they have many more days like this. These are the things children are supposed to do when there are leaves on the ground.

Author's Note: I am happy to report that the girls did get out the football, unprovoked mind you, before they came in for the night.

Author's Comment: Happy Birthday to the Love of My Life!

2 comments:

  1. Nicely written slice of life, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ron. It was a fun piece to write. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete