Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My Challenge to Myself

I rented the movie “Julie & Julia” this weekend for my wife. Being the dutiful husband that I am, I watched it with her. It was a cute movie, and I would be lying if I didn’t admit that it was a bit inspiring. Fine, it was really inspiring. I am sucker for a movie that has someone who puts a lot of hard work into something and is then rewarded at the end. That’s what this country is supposed to be about, right? Work hard and get your big, fat reward.

I think sometimes though we miss the boat about what that reward actually is. Maybe we get so hung up on the living the perfect movie ending that we do not realize that we aren’t always going to get a book deal after all of our hard work is done. Perhaps it is true that part of the reward, and arguably the most valuable part, is what you become while pursuing that prize. I buy that philosophy.

To that end, I have decided, probably like a million other bloggers who either followed the Julie/Julia Project or saw “Julie & Julia”, to set a goal for myself. By August 31, 2011, I will have 365 blog postings. This is not to get a book deal or to have the most popular blog in the Universe. This challenge is for me and to see what I become in the process. Note: Any book publishers who would like to offer me a book deal are more than welcome to contact me. J (Yes, I know that Lance Armstrong would be very disappointed in my use of an emoticon.)

Forgive me if you think I am pulling a stunt or being a copycat, I am not. I merely using a movie that I saw as the inspiration the Producers meant it to be. I started this blog in June 2010 and have published three posts – THREE! That’s very, very sad. When I started this blog, my goal was to give myself some place to “unwind my mind.” What I ended up doing is giving myself writer’s block. I was so worried about trying to create the perfect post that I ended up being too scared to write anything. The result was a dried-up little brain.

With my challenge to myself, I also give myself permission to write an imperfect post from time to time. (Although, I bet if I asked my mom, she would tell me they are all perfect. No matter how old I get, I know I can count on my mom to tell me how wonderful I am.) Lest you think I am disrespecting my wife, I am not. She tells me how wonderful I am when I deserve it – which is quite often. All other times, she tells me the truth about things, which I greatly appreciate.

So I end the first of 365 posts with this thought. It really doesn’t matter what the end result of this exercise, so long as I follow through. Stay tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment