Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Molly versus Jillian

“Daddy, I mad at Mahwee [Molly]!”

“Daddy, I'm mad at Jillian!”

This is how I was greeted when I came upstairs into the kitchen to make dinner for my darling children. At that moment, I wished I had been able to go with Shannon to the gym. Alas, she, deservedly, went by herself. Normally, the girls fighting before dinner would drive me bonkers – especially, when I am hungry. Tonight, however, something soothed me. Perhaps, it was the hot pepper, Turkey Pastrami and Honey Ham sandwich I was about to eat. Regardless (not irregardless – that is not a WORD), a calm came over me and I simply told them not to talk to each other. I made one stand by the back door and the other near the doorway leading to the basement. Then, the strangest thing happened – they listened.

In fact, they wanted to make their own dinners, and ended up working side-by-side. Yes, Reader, a three year old and a six year old can work next to each other without killing one another. They did not talk to each other or look at one another; but I heard no arguing, and that is all daddy cares about when he is hungry.

What's that, you ask? What can a three year old possible make herself for dinner? Why Strawberry Frosted Mini-wheats (or Pink Cereal, as Jillian likes to call it). I am willing to let her eat cereal for dinner from time-to-time if it empowers her knowing she did something a “big girl” can do. My Molly is an expert sandwich maker; so, she made herself a Honey Ham and Pepper Jack cheese sandwich on whole wheat.

They were so hungry that they even sat next to each other during dinner without fighting. The truth be told, whatever transgression that had occurred was forgotten, and they started to play together again. They did not fight again until Jillian hit Molly with her toy camera. Hey, it was good while it lasted. At that point, it was pretty obvious that it was bed time. The funny thing is that they will not go to bed without giving each other a hug and kiss good night. Jillian is inconsolable if Molly goes to bed without doing so.

Now the house is quiet, and the little darlings are in bed. I am contentedly typing away on my iMac, and they are probably dreaming of life where they are the only child. Although, Jillian's dream world may include Coilin, her baby brother. Those two are like two peas in a pod. I feel badly for Molly because when the twins (as we like to call them) get a little older, they will really start to wreak havoc on her world. Until then, it is Molly versus Jillian.  

Oh, and I still do not know why they were mad at each other before dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment