Sunday, November 7, 2010

My Opinion on Daylight Saving Time

Daylight Saving Time (Daylight Savings Time) ended today, and I am very sad. I understand why we turn our clocks back one hour in the fall and turn them ahead one hour in the spring. It is, supposedly, to save energy. Maybe it does and maybe it does not. I cannot say for sure. But, I do know that it messes with my family's schedule big time.

People get very excited about the alleged extra hour of sleep. I admit. I did get an extra hour of nap time today, and that is where it ends for me. So too ends my sleeping in until 7 am on the weekend. Why you ask? My dear, sweet Jillian will be up by 6 am or earlier now. She is three and does not comprehend the idea of getting extra sleep. Jillian runs on her internal clock.

We put her to bed between 8 and 8:30 every night, and she falls asleep somewhere between 8 and 9:00.  She gets up at least once or twice after we lay her down. Once to go to the bathroom again despite the fact that I make sure she goes potty before I tuck her in. Most nights she gets up again claiming "I can't sweep."

In essence, she goes to bed when she is good and ready. It does not matter what we want. The same is true when she wakes up. Jillian is up when her body tells her to wake up.  We try to get her to lay down again, but she is up five minutes later and has usually woken up either Molly or Coilin in the process. When we have her lay in bed with us as an attempt to get some extra sleep, Jillian winds-up playing with my face. (Apparently, my face is more fun that Silly Puddy.)

I know that I am not alone in the world. While at Joann Fabrics today, the cashier told us she suffers the same fate with her dog. The dog gets up when it wants to; the dog does not understand the concept of time. So for the next four months, I will be getting up a little earlier than I would like. Instead of complaining anymore, I will consider myself lucky to be able to spend some extra time with my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment