Thursday, November 18, 2010

Alternative Syrup

I will warn you now that this post is not for the faint of heart.

If you have been reading my blog, you know that I have a 19 month old son. He is pretty self sufficient when it comes to feeding himself. We put food on plate, and he can get it into his mouth - well most of it makes there. Sometimes, he even uses a fork and spoon. So, he already has a leg up on me.

Tonight, we had breakfast for dinner. This included pancakes, sausage (links and patties), and eggs. Coilin had pancakes and cut up sausage links. He actually used his fork for the sausage. The pancakes were a different story.

I tore apart his pancake into small pieces for two reasons. One, if you give him a whole pancake he will shove the entire thing in his mouth. Two, the hope is that it will take him longer to eat smaller pieces. That didn't really happen. My boy decided to take handfuls of pancake pieces and shove them in his mouth. He was fine; he did not choke. I sometimes wonder if he cannot unhinge his jaw like a snake. He laid waste to most of his pancake bits like that. Well, all except for the one.

Before we continue, I need to give you some back story. We do not put syrup on his pancakes simply because he does not need the sugar, and he would have it all over him. Coilin would be, as we say in our house, Sticky Wickets. Apparently, he must have felt that one of his pancake pieces was a little dry as he added his own "syrup."

Now, my poor son has had a runny nose all week. (Yes, I am going to go there.)  He decide to stick a piece of pancake in his nose, pull it back out and eat it. It was both gross and funny at the same time. I thought my wife and oldest daughter were going to die. My youngest daughter and I were cracking up. It was like he did it in slow motion - you could see the snot string running from his nose to the pancake. In the next moment, they were both gone. Down the old hatch!

No comments:

Post a Comment