Saturday, November 27, 2010

Top Five Favorite Christmas Albums

Yesterday marked the first day that I allowed myself to listen to Christmas music. This year it was hard to wait. About two weeks out, I was dying to listen; but, I stuck to my rule. I will not start celebrating a holiday before the one before the one before it has gotten its fair share. But, I will admit that I was very happy to load my iPod with holiday music.

Music has always been an integral part of my life. When I hear specific songs, especially Christmas songs, I am taken back to a time and place connected to that song. The holidays are the same way. When I see certain decorations either at my mom's house, or now, my own home, I am taken on a journey to the past. So, I think for me, that is one reason why I love Christmas music so much. The combination of the music and holiday season is a nostaligic tour.

Tonight, the five albums on this list all have special meaning to me. I want to share with you my five favorite Christmas albums.

5. Mannheim Steamroller Christmas -My brother first introduced me to this album in the 90s, and I have loved it ever since. It combines two of my favorite types of music - old school, and by old school I mean Renaissance music, mixed with some 80s synthesizers. On the surface this would seem like an abomination, but take a listen - it really is magical.  In particular, listen to both versions of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" one after the other. It is neat to listen to the differences.

4. The Vince Guaraldi Trio's A Charlie Brown Christmas - Like just about every other child in America, I watched "A Charlie Brown Christmas" every year. But, it was not until I was married that I listened to the soundtrack. It is wornderful. Of course, "Linus and Lucy" is one my favorite songs on the album; it's the song that everybody knows from the special. However, "My Little Drum," is the tops for me. It's a really cool version of "The Little Drummer Boy." You know what though, every song on the album reminds of the part in the show where it appears. (There is an Expand, MP3 download version of the album that has four alternate takes on it. If you own it, let me know what you think of them. I have not heard them all the way through.)

3. A Froggy Christmas  - My brother bought this for me when I was in college. His girlfriend at the time thought he had wasted his money. She did not think there was any chance that I would like it. I am happy to say she was dead wrong. This is one the funniest albums I have ever heard. It is a collection of ten songs in which all of the "singing" is done frogs, owls, and other wild creatures. It is hysterical; but, I have to admit there is one song on there that actually moves me. It is the "Little Drummer Boy" as performed by 'The Hoot Owl Boys Choirs and the Okefenokee Orchestra. The song is done really well. 

2. Harry Connick Jr.'s When My Heart Finds Christmas - You may notice a recurring theme in two of the three albums mentioned above - I mention my brother. This album is no different. He bought this the Christmas of my Senior Year in high school, and I feel in love with it. Every song is awesome. The two best are "The Little Drummer Boy" (shocker, I know) and "Ave Maria."

And my number one favorite Christmas Album of all time is (drum roll)

1. Ray Conniff's We Wish You a Merry Christmas - To me, this is the quintessential Christmas album. It is the first one I listen every year.  You may be surprised to know that my brother did not introduce me to this album. Nope, it was my parents. I fondly remember putting this cassette (yes, I am old enough to have listened to cassette tapes) into the tape player and decorating the tree, and then flipping the tape over to listen to the other side. As I am typing this, I can see us decorating our tree in my mind's eye, and the song that I hear is the "Jolly Old St. Nicholas/Little Drummer Boy" Medley. I love this album so much that it was the first one that I bought when Shannon and I married. I had to have my own copy to start my memories with my family.

I hope you enjoyed my list of top five Christmas albums. What are some of your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment