Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Change Can be Good

Change is inevitable. It is a force that we cannot stop. So, why do we fight it so much? Sometimes, we need a little change in our lives to mix things up and make us better people. 

On August 1, 2009, I was laid off. The lay off had nothing to do with my job performance; it was solely a result of the economic conditions at the time. I was working for a small firm. Before the first round of layoffs we had eight people. In January, 2009, the owner laid off two people because of declining business. By July of that year,  business had not picked-up, and she had to make a tough decision. I was laid off in round two.

It was a horrible feeling. I knew in my heart that she valued me as employee and did not want to let me go. I tried to remain positive and tell myself that it was for the best. I would get to spend more time with my two youngest children. I would have more time with my wife. Heck, I could get more done around the house as long as it did not cost anything. Those facts changed nothing until I was willing to completely change my thinking about the situation.

Deep down, I still saw myself as a failure professionally and as the provider for my family. (That is right folks, we are single family income, as my wife is a Stay-at-Home mom.) I know those negative thoughts kept me from getting interviews because my resume and cover letter suffered. They were not examples of my best work. And the one interview I did get, I tanked.

I kept telling myself that I was not the loser that I believed myself to be. Eventually, I bought into what I was selling. I changed the way I thought about myself and began to believe in my talents. At that same time, when I was not looking for and applying for jobs, I embraced the time that I had at home. I did get to spend more time with my two youngest, time that I will cherish forever. I was able to walk my oldest daughter to school just about every day. My wife and I did spend more time with one another, and our relationship grew stronger.

In the middle of October 2009, I found a temporary Technical Writing job. It was an awesome opportunity, and I learned a lot from it. Then in January 2010, I landed my current gig - a full-time position as a Technical Writer with a great company. This job has afforded me a chance to use all of the skills that I have honed over the years.

All of this happened because I embraced the change that being laid off forced upon me. It took a while, but when I finally did, I grew as a person, strengthened the relationships in my life, and excelled professionally. I look back now at that day in August, and I thank my former employer for laying me off. I miss working with her and the other folks there. I think about them often. But, it turned out to be a blessing for me.

So, the next time change enters your life, take a step back and really evaluate the situation. That change may just be what the doctor ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment