Sunday, November 28, 2010

1st Sunday of Advent

Last week, I posted an Introduction to Advent, a quick overview of the season along with a brief description of my favorite Advent Tradition - the Advent Wreath. I look forward to lighting the candles on our family wreath, and I really enjoy watching the priest light the church's wreath. I was fulfilled at home this evening; but, I was three minutes late to church, and I totally missed the wreath lighting at church.

This was the first time in a long time that I was late to church. I was bummed, and I have no one to blame but myself. The girls were at their grandparent's. So, I only had me to get ready.  I guess I thought I had more time than I really did. The other bummer is that we sing "O Come, O Come Emanuel" as the opening hymn - missed that too. Well, there is always next week.

Mass was not a total loss though. In fact, that was one of the best homilies (sermon) that I have heard Father give. It was based on the first reading Isaiah 2:1-5. In particular, he focused on Isaiah 2:3 "Come, let us climb the Lord's mountain, to the house of the God of Jacob, that he may instruct us in his ways, and we may walk in his paths." Father asked us how we were going to go to the mountain this Advent. 

It is so easy to get lost in the secular part of Christmas that we lose focus on the reason many of us celebrate this holiday - Jesus' birth. We also celebrate his second coming and those times that he makes himself known in our lives. He is present. We just have to be open to accept him. 

If you do nothing else during this holiday season, at the very least show kindness to one another. It is ironic to me how we can treat total strangers during this busy time. I watched on the news as a man was trampled at a Target Store in Buffalo. Thank goodness that he was not seriously injured. It was sad to see the number of people that just walked over top of him to just to save some money. 

The next time you see someone is down and out, offer that person a hand and help raise him/her up. A friend of mine posted the following on facebook, "Don't ever hold back when it comes to giving a compliment or brightening someone's day. You just may save a life." It is true. You never know how much of an affect you can have on someone's life.

For me, I am going to go to the mountain this Advent by helping others the best way that I can. It doesn't matter if it is just giving someone a smile, or telling someone that the outfit they are wearing is nice, or by purchasing gifts for people who have fallen on tough times. What matters is that we show each other kindness and compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment