Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Surprise

About two weeks ago, Molly's first grade teacher sent home a note asking for volunteers to come in and help with a paper mache project on the November 15th and 16th. I decided to use a vacation and volunteer for the 16th. I did not tell Molly that I was going to help, and I asked the teacher and student teacher not to say anyting to her. The plan to surprise her was set and worked perfectly.

Typically, I telecommute on Tuesdays. So, it was no big deal that I was home when she left for school. I arrived at her school at 10 a.m., and the kids were still in an assembly. The secretary told me to wait in the hall outside of Molly's classroom. I did. I could hear all of the children coming down the hall, and I saw the student teacher round the corner first and then right after her came my little girl. She screamed "Daddy!" and ran to give me a big hug. It was great.

Helping Molly and her classmates with that project was a lot of fun. It was also really messy. Even with an apron, I had paper mache glue all over my sleeves. When we were all done, I got a little surprise of my own. I was told I could go in the classroom and sit with Molly for a little bit while she was working on her Thanksgiving story. That was really special.  It was fun to see Molly in her own element.

If you ever have the opportunity to volunteer at your child or grandchild's school, do it if you can. I know it is hard to fit that kind of time into your schedule. Man is it worth it though. It was fulfilling for me, and Molly was super excited. The children love it. One of the little boys I helped kept telling me about how his dad had come in the day before to help. It makes a lasting impression on our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment