Monday, October 25, 2010

A Weekend Away

I am back. I apologize for not posting anything new for a while. My wife and I went down the Epcot Food and Wine Festival in Orlando this weekend. I spent most of the evenings the week and a half leading up to our mini-vacation completing a project for work. So, that left no time to work on my beloved blog.

This vacation was our first full weekend alone together since Molly was born in 2004. The Food and Wine Festival was awesome; but, spending some time alone with my wife was even better. We stopped at the “Rose and Crown” for some Fish and Chips, and we just sat there and ate for a bit. No talking. Just us enjoying each other's company. As I have written before, it is really nice to be able sit with someone you love and just enjoy their company. The best part was being able to enjoy a hot meal without having to cut-up anybody's food or running someone to the bathroom. We sat and ate together in peace. It was almost like we were dating again.

The whole weekend was like that. It was mostly just us. Sure, there were thousands of people at Epcot on Saturday. We tried to ignore them and focus on us. Of course we talked about the children a bit. They are our lives; how could we not? Though, we did make a concerted effort not to let them dominate our conversations.

The two and half days we were away from the children was just long enough. Towards the end of the day yesterday we were both ready to see them. We know that the time we have with them is limited, and each day seems to pass more quickly the older we get. That also means that we have a limited time with each other. Shannon and I need to balance that time so that we to spend some time as Husband and Wife, and not spend all of our time as Mommy and Daddy. I think that this is true for anybody with children. You cannot forgot about continuing to build your marriage. A strong marriage will undoubtedly benefit your children. Try to spend at least some time alone with your husband or wife. Whether it is a weekend away or a couple of hours on Tuesday night, it all makes a difference.

2 comments:

  1. So nice to get away without children. My husband and I got away to Seven Springs last weekend also. We didn't do anything special, just quiet time alone is all that is needed sometimes. thanks for the blog I enjoy reading it.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim,

    You are absolutely right. It doesn't really matter what we do with our spouses as long as we can have that time alone.

    Thank you for reading. I am always happy to hear when someone is enjoying the blog.

    Take care,

    Steve

    ReplyDelete