Sunday, October 10, 2010

Pleasant Surprise

I participated in the Start! Heart Walk in Pittsburgh today, and I experienced something wonderful. Having suffered from a Heart Attack myself, this walk had special meaning to me already. The thing that affected me the most today took me by surprise.

The walkers were all lined-up and ready to start. We just had to wait for the open ceremonies to finish. They had two or three people speaking, and if you offered me a million dollars, I could not tell what they were talking about. These folks were using a public address system, but the walkers were making so much noise that it was hard to hear.

Then, through the cacophony of sound, you clearly heard, “Oh, say can you see...,” and the crowd went completely silent. I have never experienced that. Even at baseball games and football games, people are still talking. Not today. It was totally awesome, and that moment was another brilliant example of why I love this country.

We may bicker and argue over politics and global warming and race and creed. When the Star Spangled Banner begins, 99% of people shut up. That respect, to me, is phenomenal. Somethings still remain sacred, and it appears that our National Anthem is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment