Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Called

I think that we are all called on in life to do something greater than what we think is possible. It is up to us to answer that call. Allow me to give you an example from my own life.

For years people have been telling me that I would make an excellent teacher. When I first started out in college, I majored in Elementary Education. After bouncing around two other Education based degrees, I decided I did not want to teach. One of the reasons was, I did not want to deal with the parents. So, I earned my degree in English – just plain old English. I have been using that degree professionally since graduation in some form or another.

Part of me has always wondered what if I had followed that initial path. I really enjoy sharing knowledge with other people. Maybe that is why I enjoy Technical Writing as my profession and this blog as my hobby. But, part of me does wonder if I was ignoring a calling for something different.

About two months ago, I heard that Call to teach again. This time I listened, but not right away. We received a registration packet for Faith Formation (CCD) at our church. It was time for our daughter to start learning about our faith outside of the home. That packet had other information in it for the parents. One of those pieces of information was request for volunteers to teach Faith Formation classes. When I initially read the advertisement, I thought that would be a lot of fun, but did not give it much more thought. That was before my wife mentioned something about it to me. Mind you, she did not know I had even considered volunteering to teach at our church. Here is a summation of what she said:

The church is looking for Faith Formation teachers. You have always wanted to teach. It would be something that you and Molly could do together.

She is so smart. I listened and answered the Call. I am glad I did. Had Shannon not mentioned the Call to teach, I probably would have ignored it. We have been in class for three weeks, and I am having a great time. The kids, for the most part, seem to be enjoying it too.

The Call is not always something as involved as teaching Faith Formation. Sometimes we are called to do smaller tasks that are every bit as important.

Have you ever gotten that feeling that you should call and check up on a good friend. Then, when you do, you find out that she has been hurting and looking for someone in which to confide her troubles. Or what about the person on crutches who is trying to open a door, but cannot do it without falling over? By opening that door for them, you are answering a Call. You may think that is what any decent person would do, but many people would walk by without lending a hand.

Sometimes the Call is loud and clear, like my wife, and sometimes it is very subtle, such as an intuition. You just have to be willing to listen and answer. Otherwise, the Call becomes nothing more than a missed opportunity to make this world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment