Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Miracles Do Happen

I am in the mood to talk about my children tonight. Please bare with me. I was giving my son some milk before he went to bed tonight. I looked down at him and thought just how amazing it is that we have him. My wife and I thought that we were done having children after we had Molly and Jillian. In fact, we took steps to prevent another birth.

My wife, Shannon, had her “Tubes Tied” in 2007. Correction, “Tube Tied” she only had one Ovary left when she had the procedure done. A cyst had grown on Shannon's left ovary during her pregnancy with Jillian and totally obliterated that ovary. The doctor took out a 2 cm section of the fallopian tubes connected to the one good ovary to perform the Tubal Ligation (that's the fancy term for getting your “Tubes Tied”). When I say we thought we were done, we really thought we were done. Apparently God had other plans.

Late in the Summer of 2008, my wife was not feeling like herself. She was convinced that she was pregnant. I told her she was crazy; but, like a dutiful husband, I went out that night and bought a home pregnancy test. It turned positive while I was still reading the directions to determine how to tell if the test was positive. Yes, we were very shocked, and concerned. You see if a woman gets pregnant after having a Tubal Ligation, it is possible that it could be a Ectopic pregnancy. That can be life threatening for the mother. The doctor wanted to see my wife the next day. They did a sonogram and confirmed that she was pregnant, and that the embryo was in the Uterus right where it needed to be.

Now, I look at him and I am stunned by what a miracle he is. All children are miracles, there is no doubt of that. For me and my wife though, there is no greater miracle than Coilin. (When I say that, I do not mean to take anything away from my two girls.) Friends all around us were trying to get pregnant and could not. And here we were expecting number three when we had taken dramatic measures to prevent a pregnancy. I am so happy that Medical Science failed us. Shannon and I are blessed with three awesome children, and a couple of our friends that were trying to get pregnant are pregnant now. Miracles do happen everyday, and I think the greatest miracle of them all is having a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment