Thursday, October 7, 2010

Focus on the Positive

My oldest daughter some how got a cut in her mouth. It is not a big one; but it hurts her. I can sympathize. I have one too. I bit the inside of my cheek. Poor Molly, even before she went up to brush her teeth, she asked if she would have to use mouth wash. She knew it would make it hurt worse. I told her she had to. She started to cry a little. I tried to comfort her and tell her it would help heal it by killing the bacteria. Molly did not want to hear that.

Fast forward to after Molly had brushed her teeth. I did not have to ask her if it hurt because I knew it would, and I did not want to bring it up. Never fear! Molly made sure that she let me know that it hurt. I told her to focus on the positive – that even though it hurt – it would help. My “lecture” to her started to make me think about some things too, and I am in no mood to think tonight. I am far too tired. But, once the machine starts, the machine has to finish.

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of anything in this world that does not come without a cost. Someone cleans out a wound to get rid of the bacteria, and that hurts. You work extra hours to make a few extra bucks, and you are giving up your free time, time that you usually spent drinking with your buddies. If you want to lose weight, you have to start eating healthier and start exercising. Maybe, as in my case, I wanted to start a blog and the only time I had left was my television time.

All of these things come at some cost. The cost for some is higher than others. We have to decide exactly what we are willing to pay to achieve the desired outcome. You have to give in order to receive.

In reality, life really is not that much different than a cut in a little girl's mouth. You will suffer for a bit while you swish around the mouthwash; but eventually, the pain turns into a reward that is a healed mouth. You may notice that things taste a little better than did while the cut was still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment