Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Teachers Make a Difference

Tonight, my oldest daughter re-enforced a fact that I have known to be true since high school. Teachers make a difference in students' lives. Friday will be the last day for Molly's student teacher. Molly is very sad about this, and I can understand where she is coming from.

Throughout my life, I have had teachers that have had a significant impact on more than just my scholarly education. The best ones have also prepared me for life. Only time will tell how much Molly's student teacher truly affected Molly's life. But, I can say this with a great deal of certainty - Miss Sizer has affected her in the short term, and I can see why.

About two weeks ago, I wrote about a Surprise that I gave to my daughter. That was me volunteering for a couple of hours at her school. During that time, I was able to witness how Miss Sizer interacted with students, the faculty (including the principal), and the parents (me). She is going to be a very good teacher, and she is going to have a tremendous affect on a great many children's lives. Like I said, she made an impression on my princess and that means she is okay in my book.

I wish Miss Sizer the best of luck, and I hope she never forgets how important her job is to the future of America. Apart from parents, teachers spend the most time with our children (in some sad cases the child may see the teacher more than their own parents). Thank you Miss Sizer for what you have to for Molly and what you will do for future generations.

1 comment: