Saturday, December 4, 2010

Top Five Favorite Christmas Movies

Last week I listed my five favorite Christmas Albums. Tonight, I want to share my top five favorite Christmas movies. To make the list, a movie has to make me feel good about life after I am done watching it. Admittedly, that leaves things wide open, but, hey it is Christmas the time for giving.

5. It's a Wonderful Life - "Elf" almost beat out "It's a Wonderful Life." Really, it is hard to top a 6' 3" inch elf who teaches New York City about the Spirit of Christmas. But, Jimmy Stewart does just that. I will admit that I wonder some times how my life is affecting other - am I really making a difference? This movie shows us how much George Bailey meant to the people of Bedford Falls, and how much of a difference one man can in people's lives.

4. A Christmas StoryRalphie's desire for an "an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle" reminds of the Christmas that I wanted an Optimus Prime (for those of you who do not know, he is a Transformer - leader of the Autobots (good guys)). We both would have done anything to get that ultimate gift. Ralphie's stunts are way more entertaining that mine were. Fortunately for Ralphie, he received his dream gift.  

3. White Christmas - Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Danny Kaye, and Vera Ellen. I really do not think I need to say more.

2. The Muppet Christmas Carol - I really love the George C. Scott version. That was my first introduction to this story. But, when you add the Muppets to a superb story, well, that just makes the movie better. Brian Henson retains the message of Dickens' classic Christmas Ghost Story. We still learn about poverty in 19th Century England, and a miserly old man learns the meaning of Christmas.

1. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - I totally related to Clark W. Griswold. All that this man wants to do is have a successful family Christmas. No matter how hard he tries - things just go wrong. In the end, Clark does the best he can. I could watch this movie every day of the Christmas season.

Update: As Carpedavid so astutely noticed, I should have listed Rosemary Clooney and NOT Donna Reed as one of the cast for "White Christmas." My apologizes, and thank you Dave for pointing that out.

2 comments:

  1. For White Christmas, don't you mean Rosemary Clooney?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doh! That's an embarrassing one. Thanks carpedavid for bringing that to my attention.

    ReplyDelete