Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pizza and Wings

I have a great many things on my mind tonight. However, if I start to talk about half of them, I will get fired-up and this blog will turn ugly really quickly. Some things are just better left off of the internet. After all, you know what they say – The Internet is Forever. Instead, I am going to switch gears and talk about my favorite food – Pizza and Wings.

Some of you may argue that Pizza and Wings are two foods. I disagree. To truly enjoy one, I must have the other. They are the perfect example of a symbiotic relationship. Without one, the other dies. So, they are one.

I am very spoiled. My in-laws are from Buffalo, NY, and we go to visit their families from time to time. As a result, I get to eat true Buffalo Wings. Not Buffalo-style Wings; but true Buffalo Wings. And brother, there is a difference. They really do taste better.

Tonight, my dear mother-in-law, on her way back from a visit in Buffalo, brought us – wait for it – Pizza and Wings from Pasquale's. As the late-Myron Cope would said, “Yoi and Double-Yoi.” I was that excited. Tonight we had Peperoni Pizza and BBQ Wings. I can still taste the wings two and half hours later. Typically, I am not a BBQ Wing fan. I prefer them hot. However, Pasquale's and Center Ave Slice, right here in Pittsburgh, are about the only BBQ wings I really enjoy.

This post is about my favorite, and that is Hot Wings and Pepperoni Pizza. They are the perfect compliment to one another. (Oh, and that Pepperoni better have some spice in it.) Here is how I like to eat it. First, you take a bite of the Hot Wing , and with a good Wing, you get a nice heat starting in your mouth with that very first bite. Next, comes a bite of the Pepperoni Pizza. The heat starts to build a little more. Go back to the wing, and the heat starts to intensify. That is when I dip the tip of my pizza into Ranch dressing, and take a small bite careful not to get any Pepperoni. I want to cool down that heat a bit; but not too much. Hence, the small bite sans Pepperoni. When the heat becomes too intense, the flavor balance is ruined. This dance on my palate goes on and on, until all the food is gone. This dance, like a dance with with my wife never lasts long enough though. So, I savor every moment.

Yes, you read my statement about Ranch correctly. Please keep that stinky Bleu Cheese away from my dance. That is like having an ex-girlfriend trying to cut in while I am dancing with my wife. No good, can come of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment