Saturday, September 11, 2010

How I Have Spent September 11th

I am not going to talk about what I was doing on September 11th 2001 in this post. Tonight, I would rather talk about a couple of things that I have done on this date since that terrible day, things that have helped to make me a better person.

Today, I spent my morning in an American Heart Association CPR class. I had signed-up for this class through my daughter's preschool without really considering that it was the anniversary of the September 11th attacks. It was not until I wrote the class time on the calendar that I fully realized on what day the class was going to be held. For me, I thought it was pretty cool that it was going to be on September 11th. What better way to spend this day than learning how to save lives? Especially considering how many First Responders sacrificed their lives that day trying to save others.

On another September 11th eight years ago, I attended my first Right of Christian Initiation for Adults (RCIA) class. RCIA prepares adults who want to join the Catholic Church for Baptism, if you have not been baptized, First Communion, and Confirmation. Then during Easter Vigil, you receive those Sacraments. I did not start RCIA as a result of the September 11th attacks. This was something that I had wanted to do for a very long time. It just so happened the year I decided to make this journey the first class for the RCIA program at St. Ferdinand Church was on September 11th. I thought that was pretty awesome, and for me it was a wonderful way to spend that day.

None of us can bring back those people whose lives were taken or those who gave their lives to save others that day. No one can heal the hurt that those who lost someone as a result of the attacks suffer. But, we can remember them and, I think, honor them by participating in events that can make a positive difference in our lives and in the lives of other people. But, I also think that this is a day that any American who is old enough to remember the attacks should spend how they see fit. It is not for me or anyone else to tell you what you should be doing today. Every American suffered in some way that horrific day in 2001 – some more than others – it is okay if we grieve differently from one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment