Sunday, July 1, 2012

Through the Years

My daughters’ birthdays are ten days apart in June. We typically celebrate their birthdays with the family on the same day. Today is that day. We will be heading to Grammy and Papas for an afternoon of swimming and pizza. It is supposed to be in the high 80s in Pittsburgh at party-time, and a pool party is the perfect way to celebrate the day God blessed us with two perfect little girls. 

Before we get to the party, I need to come to terms with the fact that my little girls are getting bigger. Right now all three children are sitting on the couch watching “Jungle Junction” on the iPad. It wasn’t that long ago that Shan told me she was pregnant with our first. At least it doesn’t seem like it was that long ago. I clearly remember that conversation we had eight years ago. I remember the major milestones for all three of her pregnancies, and yet, there are days that I cannot remember what I had for lunch. Crazy. 

I cherish those memories. Those moments are what have helped to define who I am. Over the last eight years, I have cut three umbilical cords (the first one wasn’t pretty – ruined my shirt), gotten up in the middle of the night countless times to sooth a child, changed innumerable diapers, fallen asleep with babies on my chest, stepped on toys and limped around in pain, cleaned booboos, brushed knots out of hair, caught puke in my hands, and performed numerous other acts of parenthood both expected and unexpected. 

Sometimes I wonder if parents have birthday parties to celebrate the birth of their children or to celebrate surviving another year of parenting. Of course, the latter is not why my wife and I are throwing a party, I ah, am, ah, talking about other parents. Yeah that’s it. 

Through the course of writing this post, I have made breakfast for the oldest, helped the middle one get dressed, helped the youngest on the potty and dressed him, and you guessed it, other various parental duties. Doing all of that has helped me to realize that I probably will never fully come to terms with my babies getting older. That’s okay with me. I will continue to look forward to the wonderful experiences awaiting my children and fondly remember everything that has happened to us so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment