Thursday, December 16, 2010

That's Why I Love My Town

I love my town for many reasons. Santa Claus made one of those reasons evident tonight. Each year, the fire department tows Santa on a flatbed sleigh around the streets of our town. One of the fireman elves hands out candy canes to the children. To let everyone know he is coming, one of the Fire Engines drives ahead and sounds the siren. It is truly wonderful.
This year, one of the neighbors was told that Santa would be coming around at 6 p.m. Somebody gave her bad information. Santa did not arrive to our street until about 8. Maybe he started on the other side of town and worked his way over. I am not sure. What I do know is that it kind of made it more exciting. All of us were anticipating his arrival, and nobody was disappointed when he came.

My almost 20 month old son may be too young yet to understand that Santa Claus is going to bring him gifts next week; but, he is certainly old enough to recognize him. As soon as he saw the master elf, he shouted "Santa!" The girls were equally mesmerized. They just stared at him on his sleigh for a while. Finally, they started waving at him. He waved back and gave a hearty, "Ho, Ho, Ho!" And he was off to make some other child's night.

I say thank you to our local fire department for doing this each year. And God Bless you for being firemen in the first place. You are real heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment